The Finnish Association for Slow Journalism will give out 1–3 investigative journalism grants worth 1000 euros. The deadline for submissions is 15.5.2015.
The grants are given for preliminary investigative work only. If it looks like there is a story, Long Play Media will commit to buying the finished article. In this case also a normal story fee (approximately 2000 e) is paid.
Rules of application:
- Deadline for story ideas is May 15th. Send your pitch by email:email@example.com. Include a story summary and a timetable that suits yourself. Describe what you would like to investigate and what the finished article might reveal. All submissions will be treated with confidentiality.
- The grant is open to people of all ages and nationalities. However, please write your pitch in English (or Finnish).
- Slow Journalism Association decides on the winner on May 22th. 1-3 grants can be given out. The jury will discuss the best ideas with the writers before making a final decision.
- If the story makes it to publication in Long Play, a normal fee will also be paid. Our story editor will work with the writer in order to produce the best possible piece of narrative, long-form journalism.
- As taxation practices vary in different countries, we will deal with the issue when the time comes. In Finland, grants are generally not taxed.
The Finnish Association for Slow Journalism (Hitaan journalismin yhdistys), founded in Helsinki in April 2012, supports quality, in-depth journalism. In January 2013 the association started Long Play, a digital publication of narrative and investigative long-form journalism. As of 2014, Long Play is published by Long Play Media Ltd.
Long Play has so far published content only in Finnish, but we are interested in changing that and collaborating with the best writers from all over the world.